You may be thinking this doesn’t apply to you because you’re not moving, but don’t skip this blog!Whether you are planning to move this year or in five years, I think you will find this information useful. Spring is the perfect time to get to work on preparing your home for sale, no matter if it’s going on the market this year or next. It can be an intimidating job, but one that is well worth the effort.
Let me be blunt; selling your home is usually an unpleasant experience. I’ve been a reaI estate professional for nearly twenty years and recently sold my own home. Despite my background, I found the experience stressful and frustrating, but ultimately successful. If you follow some of the advice Fazendin Realtors has gathered over the decades, the home selling experience can be less painful.
Buyers can be picky and quick to discount the value of a home based on items that are easily fixed. After living in a home for years, most homeowners tend to overlook items that buyers see as deficiencies. The goal of the advice to the right is to spend a minimum amount of money while maximizing the sale price you will garner when your home sells. As you will see, some of these tasks are easily done by the homeowner, while you may want to hire a professional for others. Whatever the case, it’s all about low cost and high reward for the home seller.
FIRST IMPRESSIONS MATTER:
- Give your entry a facelift with a new coat of paint or a new front door
- Have your landscape and yard looking its best
*There is research that shows proper landscaping can increase the value of your home
- Make sure all exterior lights are working
- Wash your windows (inside and out)
- Clean out your garage and considerrenting a storage unitif you have too much “stuff”
- Replace your worn-out welcome mat with a new one
- Paint or replace the street numbers on the house
- Power wash outdoor surfaces to give them a “like new” look
HOW TO MAKE YOUR HOUSE FEEL LIKE HOME TO POTENTIAL BUYERS:
- Declutter your entire home
- Clean everything
- Let in as much natural light as possible and utilize lamps where necessary
- Fix everything, big or small
- Consider fresh paint and new carpet
- Have a well-organized kitchen
- Make sure all doors and windows open and close smoothly
- Replace light bulbs where needed and make sure all switches work
FINE TUNE YOUR HOME FOR MARKET:
Fazendin Realtors offers customers a complimentary staging consultation with a professional designer. The purpose of this meeting is to address many of the items above in more detail specific to your particular home. All homes are unique, which is why we feel this final customized step is important. Once again, the goal is to provide the seller with a step-by-step list of affordable improvements that will prepare the home for showings and open houses. Taking these suggestions into consideration will maximize the sale price and minimize the time it takes to sell.
Our complimentary designer may provide guidance on:
Specific paint colors for each room
Affordable light fixtures
Carpet color and texture recommendations
Furniture arrangement in certain roomsto maximize appeal & flow
Updating hardware on cabinets and drawers
Most homeowners want to maximize their profit when they sell a home. With this in mind, it is crucial to prepare your home prior to listing it on the market. This preparation does not need to be expensive, but it will require time and planning by the homeowner. If you are considering selling your home now or in the future, please contact your Fazendin agentto get his or her advice on how you can start to prepare your home and learn more about our staging program.
Andy Fazendin – Owner/Broker
Want to print thislist?
Download the simplified list here!